Monday, November 17, 2008

Last week

Ack! What a week we had! It was a good one though, just busy, busy! My ward's Relief Society sisters did a service week all week long, and so I participated in as much of it as I could. I always find myself wishing that I were doing more in my life to help others, so I am grateful for the ladies who planned this week of service! On Tuesday we had a Service Auction, where each of us who wanted to either brought things to the Enrichment Night, or filled out slips of paper that was a service to someone else and that was the items for auction. Some examples were: babysitting, dinner brought in on a night of your choice, housework, yard work, etc...When we arrived that night, we filled out a questionnaire, and each answer was worth 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 points, and that's what we used to bid with. It was lots of fun!

On Wednesday we went to the Ogden Rescue Mission and served dinner to the homeless and less fortunate. It was a neat experience, and an eye-opener at that! It was neat to know that all the people that work there get either little or no pay, and that it is all run pretty much on volunteer work from the community. It was interesting to learn that the Mission is NOT state funded, and the reason is because they have a "rule" (can't think of a better to use right now) that if you eat there, you have to go to their little church service that is given each night before dinner. It's one of those Church and State laws. But anyway, I wasn't sure of how the night would be before we went, but it really was a good night! The people who work at the shelters, and the guests (as they call them) were so thankful that we were there. It was a good feeling!


Thursday they planned a Temple Night for just the sisters, however I was unable to go as mine and Mike's recommends are expired as of last month, so come this Tuesday, we should be able to say we're Temple worthy again! LOL!


Saturday kinda wrapped it all up. For the past month, we had all been asked to donate items to put in Humanitarian Kits, like: toothpaste, toothbrushes, bars of soap, and hand towels, and on Saturday we put the kits together to send them off to the Church were they will distribute them as needed. We also made scarfs out of fleece, and tied 3 quilts! It was a nice afternoon! So to put the whole week in perspective, as Relief Society sisters, we were able to help those in our ward, our community, our families, and essentially...the world! Pretty cool!


I also helped at Jarek's school's Book Fair throughout the week as well. It is something I have been doing since he was in Kindergarten there, and I look forward to it twice each school year! As a nice incentive, the PTA gives you $5 to spend at the Book Fair per shift you work, so Jarek pretty much has my "money" spent before I even work my first shift! It's good though...at least it's books!

I felt like it all came back around to me when on Friday I got a phone call from my Dentists' office telling me that they were going to write off the $274.06 that I owed them!! I still can't believe their generosity! What a nice early Christmas present!

On Friday I had 3 of LaDawn's kids for a sleepover while they celebrated their 14th Anniversary! They are always a good time, and I don't have them over enough! We had Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner (Alise and Jeff came for the dinner part), watched Kung Fu Panda (you gotta' see it if you haven't yet!) and ate junk food! Good times! Everyone passed out around 10:00, but don't worry, they were up at 4 a.m. they tell me!






I decided that it was time to do our annual Family Pictures to shove in our Christmas Cards (oh yes, people...Christmas is knocking on our door!), so yesterday (Sunday) we, and my personal photographers (my sister Alise and brother-in-law Jeff) went to Beuss Park and snapped some shots. We all despise the time and effort it takes to pull these off, but I guess it was worth it. I'm not going to post the "money shot" cause most of you will get one of your very own in your Christmas card in a few weeks, but I will show you a couple that will give you a good idea of the "fun" we had!



We also went to Mike's Aunt's house and celebrated his
Grandpa Egginton's 87th birthday. Sweet ol' guy! He always says at each of his birthdays that he doesn't know if he'll be around for the next one, but we are so glad that he is! He bore his Testimony to us all, and told us all that each one of us is "tucked inside his heart". Mike's Uncle Paul played his guitar while he sang the song "My Way" to Grandpa.

Okay, once again I am getting SUPER frustrated with how this post is laying out, so I better end for now before I delete this whole thing! Ugh!!!!!
Wish me better luck next time!

4 comments:

Toni said...

I love that your Relief Society did a service week. I really enjoy the service nights. I love all of the pictures.

Sherri said...

I would love to hear about your service activities!! I have a new calling "Compassionate Service" I need help!!!

Karlie said...

Found your blog recently Jenn and I'm excited to be able to read about what's going on in your life. You have such a cute family.

Anonymous said...

Jen, you really need to update your blog. I come to see new things and you haven't updated it in 5 months!!!!! How are you? I need to order some jafra baby stuff from your sister too. Email me.